I am linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy to share what is saving my life this winter as we are half way through. It is so easy to focus on the negative things in our lives and this is a great opportunity to list what is actually working for you right now.
- Morning Routines: I am still using the suggestions from Hello Mornings for my mornings. I try to have God Time, Plan Time and Move Time every morning. Then during the day my other goals are to write at least 1 page in my journal, read for 30 minutes and listen to an encouraging podcast.
- Books: There is no better way to get through the winter than reading a great book! Here is a link to the books I have read so far this year: http://mamakay.com/WordPress/book-list-2019/
- Sunshine – For some reason it has seemed to me that this winter we have had a lot more sunshine than most winters. The days are still short but the sunlight is intense during the day. I have thoroughly enjoyed it!
- Gym Membership – I have been making it to the gym 3 times a week. Sometimes I go to a class and other times I just spend some time on the treadmill. I particularly like going to my yoga classes and recently added a Cardio Party class that is a lot of fun.
- Master Bedroom – I decided to make it a priority to update our master bedroom over the course of this year. It started with painting the walls a couple months ago. Then my husband built a new bed frame to get our bed off the floor. My sister gave us a new bedding set she found on sale. I added a chair we had elsewhere in the house and traded out a dresser. My room is so much better now! I still have a list of things I would like to buy. But we were able to completely change the feel of our room for under $100 and using things from other rooms.
- The Enneagram – I was introduced to the enneagram a little over a year ago but found it pretty confusing. One of my goals for this year is to understand it and be able to apply it to my life. You guys, it is like going through therapy for the price of a couple of books! So many things have been brought to light. My husband and I have made so much progress in our ability to communicate since learning more about our enneagram types.
- Tidying up with Marie Kondo – I read the The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up several years ago. I appreciated several of her suggestions and did declutter some, watching her show on Netflix has been amazing and so inspiring!
- Salt Acid Fat Heat: I watched this wonderful show on Netflix starring
Samin Nosrat and then promptly ordered her cookbook. I have been trying to up my game with my cooking and my new gas stove provides some wonderful heat! I am amazed how much adding more salt to my cooking has made so much difference! I’m still learning how to get it right, but when I do it is so wonderful! Next, figuring out adding acid and fat appropriately to our dishes.
- Bowl Food: I’ve been working on how to meet the dietary needs of the 10 people in our family which range from keto diet, vegetarian, dairy sensitivities, and general preferences. I was getting so tired of people complaining or not getting the food they need. So I have rearranged a lot of our meals into a bowl food format. Basically what this means is that I prepare the ingredients separately and serve them buffet style so people can choose the foods that go in their bowls.
How about you? What is saving your life this winter?